PHD, University of Florence
MS, University of Florence
The goal of my research is to investigate the mechanism of DNA replication and repair in both eukaryotic and prokaryotic systems. I have been mainly involved in studying the interactions of different proteins with the ring shaped sliding clamps whose main function is to tether the DNA polymerases to DNA for highly processive synthesis. My interest has been to further the understanding of the regulation of the traffic flow of different polymerases on the clamps in prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms
2008-Present Assistant Visiting Professor
Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY
2001-2008 Research/Postdoctoral Associate
The Rockefeller University/Howard Hughes Medical Institute, New York, NY
2001 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Department of Chemistry, Laboratory of Molecular Spectroscopy
1996-1997 Development Specialist/Validation Officer
Boehringer Ingelheim Inc., Florence, Italy.
1. Langston LD, Indiani C, O'Donnell M.
Whither the replisome: emerging perspectives on the dynamic nature of the DNA replication machinery.
Cell Cycle. 2009 Sep 1;8(17):2686-91.
2. Indiani C, Langston LD, Yurieva O, Goodman MF, O'Donnell M.
Translesion DNA polymerases remodel the replisome and alter the speed of the replicative helicase.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Apr 14;106(15):6031-8.
3. Minko IG, Yamanaka K, Kozekov ID, Kozekova A, Indiani C, O'Donnell ME, Jiang Q, Goodman MF, Rizzo CJ, Lloyd RS. Replication bypass of the acrolein-mediated deoxyguanine DNA-peptide cross-links by DNA polymerases of the DinB family. Chem Res Toxicol. 2008 Oct;21(10):1983-90.
4. Indiani C and O’Donnell M
The replication clamp-loading machine at work in the three domains of life.
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2006 Oct; 7(10):751-61.
5. Indiani C, McInerney P, Georgescu R, Goodman MF, O’Donnell M.
A sliding clamp toolbelt binds high and low fidelity DNA polymerases simultaneously. Mol Cell 2005 Sept 16; 19:805-815.
6. Fedurco M, Augustynski J., Indiani C, Smulevich G, Antalik M, Bano M, Sedlak E, Glascock MC, Dawson JH.
Electrochemistry of Unfolded Cytochrome c in Neutral and Acidic Urea Solutions. J Am Chem Soc. 2005 May 25;127(20):7638-7646.
7. Fedurco M, Augustynski J, Indiani C, Smulevich G, Antalik M, Bano M, Sedlak E, Glascock MC, Dawson JH.
The heme iron coordination of unfolded ferric and ferrous cytochrome c in neutral and acidic urea solutions. Spectroscopic and electrochemical studies. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004 Dec 1;1703(1):31-41.
8. Indiani C, Santoni E, Becucci M, Boffi A, Fukuyama K, Smulevich G.
New insight into the peroxidase-hydroxamic acid interaction revealed by the combination of spectroscopic and crystallographic studies. Biochemistry. 2003 Dec 2;42(47):14066-74.
9. Indiani C, O'Donnell M.
Mechanism of the delta wrench in opening the beta sliding clamp. J Biol Chem. 2003 Oct 10; 278(41):40272-81.
10. Davey MJ, Indiani C, O'Donnell M.
Reconstitution of the Mcm2-7p heterohexamer, subunit arrangement, and ATP site architecture. J Biol Chem. 2003 Feb 14;278(7):4491-9.
11. Heering HA, Indiani C, Regelsberger G, Jakopitsch C, Obinger C, Smulevich G.
New insights into the heme cavity structure of catalase-peroxidase: a spectroscopic approach to the recombinant synechocystis enzyme and selected distal cavity mutants. Biochemistry. 2002 Jul 23; 41(29):9237-47.
12. Nielsen KL, Indiani C, Henriksen A, Feis A, Becucci M, Gajhede M, Smulevich G, Welinder KG.
Differential activity and structure of highly similar peroxidases. Spectroscopic, crystallographic, and enzymatic analyses of lignifying Arabidopsis thaliana peroxidase A2 and horseradish peroxidase A2. Biochemistry. 2001 Sep 18; 40(37):11013-21.
13. Howes BD, Feis A, Raimondi L, Indiani C, Smulevich G.
The critical role of the proximal calcium ion in the structural properties of horseradish peroxidase. J Biol Chem. 2001 Nov 2; 276 (44):40704-11.
14. Pacello F, Langford PR, Kroll JS, Indiani C, Smulevich G, Desideri A, Rotilio G, Battistoni A.
A novel heme protein, the Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase from Haemophilus ducreyi. J Biol Chem. 2001 Aug 10; 276 (32):30326-34.
15. Henriksen A, Mirza O, Indiani C, Teilum K, Smulevich G, Welinder KG, Gajhede M.
Structure of soybean seed coat peroxidase: a plant peroxidase with unusual stability and haem-apoprotein interactions. Protein Sci. 2001 Jan; 10 (1):108-15.
16. Indiani C, de Sanctis G, Neri F, Santos H, Smulevich G, Coletta M.
Effect of pH on axial ligand coordination of cytochrome c" from Methylophilus methylotrophus and horse heart cytochrome c. Biochemistry 2000 Jul 18;39(28):8234-42.
17. Indiani C, Feis A, Howes BD, Marzocchi MP and Smulevich G.
Benzohydroxamic acid-peroxidase complexes: spectroscopic characterization of a novel heme spin species. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2000; 122, 7368-7376.
18. Indiani C, Feis A, Howes BD, Marzocchi MP, Smulevich G.
Effect of low temperature on soybean peroxidase: spectroscopic characterization of the quantum-mechanically admixed spin state. J Inorg Biochem. 2000 Apr; 79 (1-4):269-74.
19. Indiani C, Priori AM, De Sanctis G, Marini S, Santucci R, Smulevich G, Coletta M.
Anion- and pH-linked conformational transition in horseradish peroxidase. J Inorg Biochem. 2000 Apr; 79 (1-4):25-30.
20. Howes BD, Feis A, Indiani C, Marzocchi MP, Smulevich G.
Formation of two types of low-spin heme in horseradish peroxidase isoenzyme A2 at low temperature. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2000 Apr; 5 (2):227-35.
21. Smulevich G, Feis A, Indiani C, Becucci M, Marzocchi MP.
Peroxidase-benzhydroxamic acid complexes: spectroscopic evidence that a Fe-H2O distance of 2.6 A can correspond to hexa-coordinate high-spin heme. J Biol Inorg Chem. 1999 Feb; 4 (1):39-47.
22. Neri F, Indiani C, Baldi B, Vind J, Welinder KG, Smulevich G.
Role of the distal phenylalanine 54 on the structure, stability, and ligand binding of Coprinus cinereus peroxidase. Biochemistry 1999 Jun 15;38(24):7819-27.
23. Feis A, Howes BD, Indiani C and Smulevich G.
Resonance Raman and electronic absorption spectra of horseradish peroxidase isozyme A2: evidence for a quantum-mixed spin species. J. Raman Spectroscopy 1998; 29, 933-938.
24. Neri F, Indiani C, Welinder KG, Smulevich G.
Mutation of the distal arginine in Coprinus cinereus peroxidase--structural implications. Eur J Biochem. 1998 Feb 1;251(3):830-8.
Research Associate, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2002-Present;
Borsellino Prize for best oral presentation, XIV National Congress of Italian Biophysical Society, 1998
New York Academy of Science and American Association for Advancement of Science
CHEM 090 Abroad:Chem Elec-Floren Italy
CHEM 090 Chemistry Elective
CHEM 101 General Chemistry I
CHEM 433 Biochemistry I
CHEM 434 Biochemistry II
CHEM 436 Biochemistry Laboratory
CHEM 456 Adv Topics: Biochemistry III
CHEM 458 Biochemistry III
CHEM 460 Chemical Research
SCI 204 Topics in Science II